Thursday, June 18, 2020

Victime Covid-19: Romario Rolook Lukau

Romario Rolook Lukau
Victime Covid-19
2020

Overview:
Kinshasa-based artist Romario Rolook Lukau has posted this painting on Instagram.  An African man, perhaps a double of the artist himself, is bare chested and facing us directly, wearing a protective face mask, in front of a bright yellow background. His right torso (our left), arms and forehead are partially tattooed or painted with abstract shapes. Over his right shoulder (the viewer’s left) he totes an automatic weapons; over his left shoulder is an elaborate nkisi nkondi, with a ritual mirror embedded in its center. The  face of the nkisi seems to be that of a monkey; the figurine holds aloft in its right arm a open circular form, in which a spear or blade might be inserted, its  right thumb pointed upwards.

Mark Auslander: Wyatt MacGaffey, leading authority on minkisi and their diverse affordances, suggests in correspondence that the nkisi nkondi is perhaps here used, like the AK-47, as a signifier of African militancy and resistance in the face of the challenge of Covid-19.  It is possible that the artist may be in sympathy with assertions, circulated on line,  that the virus, or the projected vaccine, are specifically targeting Africans and they they must be actively resisted.

Minkisi nkondi (known in coastal regions as minkisi mbau) are the most potent form of minkisi, and can be used to enforce oaths that have been sworn as nails are pounded into them, and more broadly to protect an entire community. They contain medicines and spiritually charged substances, including grave dirt, often encased in a special abdominal cavity behind the core mirror, which implies energies and visionary capacities that move between the visible and invisible worlds. It seems appropriate that in this struggle against the invisible terror of the virus, this human figure would be protected in part through an nkisi, a kind of portable grave through which the powers of the ancestors are made accessible to the living.  The ritual figurine over one shoulder, which presumably once held a spear or knife, may function as a kind of spiritual gun, complementing the physical firearm hefted on the opposite shoulder.

Nkisi Nkonde (power figure)
Wood, iron nails, glass, resin
Angola, Congo, and Democratic Republic
of the Congo (Ambrizette region);
H. 51.4 cm (20")
University of Iowa Stanley Museum of Art
The nkisi nkondi depcted here is similar in form  to one in the collection  of the University of Iowa's  Stanley Museum of Art,  The Stanley’s catalogue entry for the figurine states, “The figure stands with one arm raised (the hand once grasped a spear of knife) with the thumb pointing toward the realm of God, Nzambi.”

Perhaps significantly, in Lukau's painting the man’s face mask and the nkisi’s mirror are side by side, and share a mixture of light and shadow, suggesting a resemblance between man and ritual object: in both instances, secrecy and enclosure may be linked to special powers.

I am uncertain how to read the designs on the torso, arms and forehead of the man; other paintings by this artist depicts similar designs on human skin.  They are somewhat reminiscent of design elements found in the art of indigenous peoples of the Northwest Coast of North America, motifs which at times speak to the intimate relationships between persons and nature's beings. Perhaps the artist here hints at comparable affinities between humans and creatures of the forest, or evokes flows of energy pulsating through the body.

Several Bakongo minkisi nkondi in museum collections including in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Leiden’s Rijksmuseum for Folk Art, do have monkey or ape features,  The fur of monkeys is at times used in the fabrication of minkisi. I am not sure if the monkey face in this instance bears special significance for the artist.

Although the nkisi and the male human figure evoke strength and vitality, the title "Victim (of) Covid-19" suggests that the person may be gravely ill. Perhaps he has in fact succumbed to the pandemic, and is in the process of moving towards ancestorhood. Representing him here in painted form might,  like the act of fabricating an nkisi,  help summon the invisible powers to safeguard the living at their time of great trial. 


Elaine Sullivan:   In front of a bright yellow background, Lukau’s male figure stands looking straight ahead, white surgical mask on, gun over his right shoulder. Above the man’s left shoulder, an nkisi stands looking straight ahead, its right hand raised above its right shoulder, a carved circle indicating where a blade would once have been. The man may have his gun on one shoulder and the nkisi on the other as two weapons to fight Covid-19, or the parallelism between the two figures with weapons over their right shoulders might imply that the man himself will act like an nkisi to protect himself and his community. Further, the white the of man’s mask doubles the white of the mirror over the nkisi’s belly, where a medicinal pack would like have been placed, a source of the nkisi’s power.

 In a time of airborne infection, one can also imagine the mask covering a cavity holding powerful, unknown substances. On the man’s body, white paint used on the figure’s skin brightly reflects light and divides the figure between light and shadow. Notably, the nkisi shines out above the shoulder in shadow, perhaps signaling its work within an unknown realm of ancestors and spirits (though to be clear not necessarily associated with negative acts or dark arts).

I have been thinking a lot about minkisi since first sheltering at home because of Covid-19. At home I worried about the virus, about my community, and about the unknown. On the one hand, the virus’ airborne transmission has exposed how interconnected we are with our communities, perhaps best illustrated by the reminders that wearing a mask does not protect oneself, but rather everyone else. On the other hand, the virus has laid bare the divisions within our communities, disproportionately affecting and killing the elderly sequestered in nursing homes, and those workers deemed “essential,” many of whom come from poorer neighborhoods and communities of color. I think of minkisi because of how they can work on both individual and collective levels.

Many of the minkisi made in Congo do not look like the nail figure painted by Lukau, but are rather small bundles of medicinal substances used for personal protection or healing. As Mark mentions, larger, anthropomorphic minkisi nkondi like the one pictured work on a community-level and some were community-owned. Each nail is a symbol of an instance the nkisi has been called upon to do such things as witness an oath or agreement between members of the community. To fail to live up to the oath would incur the wrath of the nkisi, ensuring all follow the social order. I have been thinking of minkisi because they protect and heal, actions many individuals but also entire communities are in need of right now. Considering the virus works in the beyond-visible realm, in addition to following doctor’s orders I would also seek a protector who also works in invisible, such as the nkisi-spirit.


10 comments:

  1. It’s really great information for becoming a better Blogger. Keep sharing, Thanks. For more details to visit Protective Face mask

    ReplyDelete
  2. HERPES 
    God bless Doctor Dr. DADA for helping me cure my herpes disease. Brethren, I have suffered from herpes for a long period of time, i have tried so many remedies, but none seems to work. But I had contact with a herbal doctor who I saw so many people testifying on how they were all cured of their various diseases and viruses by this doctor. So I explained my entire problem to him, and he promised to cure me. So I gave him all the benefit of doubt, and behold he prepared the herbal mixture, and sent it to me in my country. Today, I am proud to say I am herpes free, and my life has been restored to normal. So in case you are out there suffering from herpes and other diseases or viruses, I want to tell you to quickly contact: Dr DADA for your cure. His email is [drdadaspellhome7@gmail.com]  OR Whatsapp  +2349023126215 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it extremely important to share my herpes status with everyone. To be honest, when I first found out I had herpes eight years ago, I became celibate for a couple years — I was too ashamed. But then I came to my senses and just had to find help from where ever i can — No one wanted to be with me, i was thinking i would never be happy again. Now, I must say i am so happy. I are free from the virus, since i used the herbal medicine from Robinsonbuckler11 [@] gmail com ]]]! https://www.robinsonbuckler. com..... He is the best, He is honest, end of story.”.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,]]]] ]]]]]]]] **

    He has solution to all health issues…..

    Do you have Cancer ??????

    Do you want to get pregnant ??????

    Do you have shingles/herpes 1&2???????

    Do you have erectile issue???????

    Do you have Prostate cancer??????

    Do you have diabetes???????

    Do you have Fibroid???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr Oyagu has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems.  recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr Oyagu today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr Oyagu is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931. or website is https://olihamiraclemedicine.webs.com/

    Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you need a quick loan?
    Have you been denied a bank loan?
    Do you need a loan during this pandemic?
    interest rate of 2% no matter your location
    Do you need a loan to solve your financial problems?
    If so, then you are in luck because my company lends for a short time and the interest rate is low. If you are interested, Kindly reply to us at (Whats App) number:+919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com Mr Jeffery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr OLIHA has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems. recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr OLIHA today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr OLIHA is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}  or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never w that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 :: am and  year now before I came across a comment about how dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but whey I saw it i have it in mind that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check up and I went for ALS test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or WhatsApp number ‪+2349056460552
    dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4} Blood Cancer
    {5} HPV
    {6} ALS
    {7}herpes





    ReplyDelete
  10. I was tested Herpes positive and ever since then i have been taking different kinds of medicine but yet no improvement until i saw testimonies on the internet of how Robinson buckler has been curing different people from different kinds of diseases, immediately i contacted him. After our discussion he prepared the medicine and send it to me, which i received and took according to his instructions. Now my doctor just confirmed me HSV2 negative. My heart is so filled with joy, thank you so much Robinson buckler for curing me. If you are reading this and you are suffering from HSV or any other disease or you want to fix your broken marriage/relationship or maybe get back with your Ex husband, Ex wife, Boyfriend or girlfriend you can contact Robinson buckler on this Email address: [Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com]

    ReplyDelete