Wednesday, June 17, 2020

COPvid 2020: John Sims

John Sims
COPvid 2020
Digital image
2020

Overview: A large blue planet has a police badge emblazoned across it, rather like a continent surrounded by oceans.  The center third of the badge is cast in shadow. Twelve American flags protrude into space from the planet's surface.  In the background dozens of identical blue police planets also surrounded by tiny flags,  float in space, filled with darkness and dust.

Mark Auslander: John Sims' new digital artwork "COPvid 2020."  accompanies his 14 June 2020 commentary in the Orlando Sentinel,   "Dear Police: We can’t trust until you change", written as an open letter to "The Police."  The work draws a clever implicit parallel between the SARS-CoV-2 novel coronavirus (engaged with through Sims' recent video game "Korona Killa" and the metaphorical virus of endemic racial terror. The twelve flags flying from the surface of each planet are reminiscent of the American flag planted on the moon's surface by the Apollo astronauts, and equally evocative of the protein spikes of the novel coronavirus. Those protein spikes, it should be remembered,  function as camouflage through which the virus in effect mimes helpful proteins, tricking the cell's walls to allow it entrance into the cell, where viral RNA hijacks the cell's internal mechanisms, turning it in a device of its own destruction, ultimately starving the body of life giving oxygen.

Similarly, the artist may be suggesting, claims to patriotism are cynically deployed by "Law and Order" political leaders and law enforcement to infect the body politic with the virus of racial violence.  There might even by a sly allusion to the claims by the police of limited immunity for violent transgressions: our national political and jural system is increasingly revealed as immuno-compromised, unable to defend its citizens of color against aggressive, armed over-policing.

I find myself thinking of the tiny planet on Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, in which the Prince must be forever on guard against the voracious baobabs that threaten to devour his entire miniature planetoid.  Are the flags themselves, used an alibi to justify excessive force and prevent civilian oversight, similarly corrosive of the body politic, as each Planet Police spins out of control, a universe unto itself,  accountable to no one? 

Another way of reading the image is as an insatiable Borg invasion force, or a deadly squadron of Imperial Starfighters, straight out of Star Wars, flying from the Death Star on attack trajectory.  Perhaps Darth Vader himself casting his ominous shadow across the police badge.  Is Planet Alderaan next in line for annihilation, as the Empire seeks to bend the galaxy to its will, its knee to the neck of all who dare resist it?'

Russell Smith:  Each look at John Sims' image reveals another layer of meaning.  Closer inspection reveals that the shield bearing the phrase  “American Police” is in fact the seal of the City of Minneapolis. Thus, the artist invokes the horrific death of George Floyd, while emphasizing that the now notorious Minneapolis Police Department is not unique, but at heart  just like all of the other police departments in the U.S., both large and small.  We are not simply dealing with individual officers or specific police departments that are 'bad apples," but rather an entire "planetary system" of systemic racism.

Each flag bears a blue stripe through its middle, eclipsing the red and white stripes. Here we presumably see a reference to the “blue line of silence” which mandates that police protect their own, no matter what atrocity has been committed.   This culture of silence, denial and cover-up, tragically, has been incorporated into the American Way, and millions of people of color are paying the price.

Rev. Avis Williams:  There are twelve months in a year, and twelve flags surround each Police Planet.  Are all police departments the same every day of the year, biased against black folks?  Perhaps the darkness around the smaller part of the badge suggested that not all officers feel the same as the majority of their fellow officers.  Some officers desire to do the right thing and treat all people as equal, as human beings, and seek to come out of the shadows, into the light. 

The flags are stuck in dozens of planets but these flags are stationary, not blowing in the wind but fixed in the cold vacuum of outer space.  These officers and departments, large and small, want their current way of doing things to remain the same,  frozen in place: they do not want the winds of change and transformation to blow their way.  The flags, planets, and badges are symmetrical, though not the same size.  The badge covers and controls the planet, holding Righteousness, Justice, and Fairness down, like an officer's knee on George Floyd's neck in Minneapolis, like an officer's knee kicking Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta, like an officer standing on the shoulder of Rayshard Brooks, all as these men lay dying in the darkness of Injustice and Racism. 

The planet resembles the Coronavirus model shown in Mr. Sim's previous work. The darkness of this Virus is ravaging the black community in disproportionate numbers compared to the white community.   Yet, in Mr. Sims rendering, there is light underneath and in the midst of the darkness.  Viewing this work as a person of faith,  I know that there remains hope that the God of the Universe, presiding over all planets large and small, will do right.  The Lord is the light of the world and will overcome the darkness of this age, in time, and the time is now for Injustice and Racism to end!  The time is now for light to overcome darkness, bringing Equality, Justice, and Righteousness front and center. 






11 comments:

  1. HERPES 
    God bless Doctor Dr. DADA for helping me cure my herpes disease. Brethren, I have suffered from herpes for a long period of time, i have tried so many remedies, but none seems to work. But I had contact with a herbal doctor who I saw so many people testifying on how they were all cured of their various diseases and viruses by this doctor. So I explained my entire problem to him, and he promised to cure me. So I gave him all the benefit of doubt, and behold he prepared the herbal mixture, and sent it to me in my country. Today, I am proud to say I am herpes free, and my life has been restored to normal. So in case you are out there suffering from herpes and other diseases or viruses, I want to tell you to quickly contact: Dr DADA for your cure. His email is [drdadaspellhome7@gmail.com]  OR Whatsapp  +2349023126215 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here to testify about what DR. OYAGU did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 2 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday. This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Shayla Bosschart on the internet testifying about a Man called DR. OYAGU on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, DR. OYAGU prepared and sent me Healing Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after two weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as DR. OYAGU assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact DR. OYAGU for help via email} oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome whatsapp him through his mobile} +2348101755322. , Thanks once again DR. OYAGU for making me a happy woman again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need a quick loan?
    Have you been denied a bank loan?
    Do you need a loan during this pandemic?
    interest rate of 2% no matter your location
    Do you need a loan to solve your financial problems?
    If so, then you are in luck because my company lends for a short time and the interest rate is low. If you are interested, Kindly reply to us at (Whats App) number:+919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com Mr Jeffery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr OLIHA has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems. recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr OLIHA today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr OLIHA is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}  or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never w that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 :: am and  year now before I came across a comment about how dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but whey I saw it i have it in mind that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check up and I went for ALS test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or WhatsApp number ‪+2349056460552
    dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4} Blood Cancer
    {5} HPV
    {6} ALS
    {7}herpes





    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never w that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 :: am and  year now before I came across a comment about how dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but whey I saw it i have it in mind that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check up and I went for ALS test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or WhatsApp number ‪+2349056460552
    dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4} Blood Cancer
    {5} HPV
    {6} ALS
    {7}herpes





    ReplyDelete
  8. I tested positive for HSV-2 a few months ago. At first, yes, I was devastated thinking I have an incurable STD for life. After doing hours of research I quickly realized genital herpes is a filthy parasite that just likes to hide in your body. Yes, there’s no “medical cure” but that doesn’t mean your body can’t get rid of it. I literally flush it out of my system with the help of Dr. Azu natural herbal medication which I ordered after doing some research. And now I’m HSV-2 Negative, I never believed it until my doctor finally gave me the test results and behold I was HSV free. I’m so glad that I found you Dr. Azu. Thanks so much for your goodness I’m grateful. You can also get your help from him through his Whatsapp Contact for fast communication +2347087313747 OR Email:dr.azuherbalhome@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am here to appreciate Dr.Enato for using his herbal medicine to cure me from Herpes virus. For 4 years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed because I have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain. One morning I was browsing through the internet then I saw several testimonies about Dr.Enato cures people from Herpes virus and other kinds of disease so immediately i contacted him on his email: dr.enatoherbalcure@gmail.com and explained my troubles to him then he assured me that he will cure me, he gave me some instructions which i followed. Then he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me which i used for 3 weeks and everything was like a dream to me when i discovered that the Herpes virus was totally gone, I hereby recommend Dr.Enato to everyone suffering from herpes or any kind of disease he has a cure to them all. Also he is a very good and honest Doctor. contact him with this email address: dr.enatoherbalcure@gmail.com or you whatsapp him on +2348071351544

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and I have gone through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Find the best Natural Healing Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  11. My herpes experienced dark urine and ribs pain so I went to the hospital for treatment and I was diagnosed with Herpes. The doctor gave me antiretroviral drugs to slow down the viral load which later worsens the ailment because the drugs weren’t effective and I was so scared because they say it has no cure, out of frustration I told my friend about it and luckily he told me he ones battled same problem in the past but he was saved, by Doc Oyama He gave me his contact and reached him and I became well and tested negative after the treatment. Here is his contact if you have such a case. contact him on WhatsApp +2348108264684 Email him droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete