Monday, June 1, 2020

Somos La Luz: Jorge Rodríguez-Gerada

Jorge Rodríguez-Gerada
Somos La Luz (We are the Light)
 Queens Museum
Mural, Flushing Meadows, Conora Park, Queens, New York
2020

Overview:  The artist Jorge Rodríguez-Gerada has recently created a 20,000 square foot massive painting of a masked medical professional, “Somos La Luz” (“We Are the Light” in the parking lot of the  Queens Museum. The work depicts the Dr. Ydelfonso Decoo, a physician and the secretary of the immigrant healthcare network SOMOS Community Care,  who died of COViD-19.  As noted in many media outlets, the work, which honors all frontline healthcare workers, is intended to be visible to satellites in orbit.

A video of the making of the painting is visible here.

Pamela Allara:  On June 1, Cuban-American artist Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada completed a monumental, 20,000 square foot mural painted on a parking lot outside the Queens Museum. A portrait of physician Dr. Ydelfonso Decoo, a front-line health care worker who contracted and died at age 70 of COVID-19 while ministering to the sick, the doctor is depicted wearing a white face mask and a blue protective head covering. Although many artworks created in response to the pandemic have depicted health care workers wearing protective masks, this one is far more moving than most; indeed it is one of the most memorable responses to date. First, there is the mere size; throughout art history, those leaders considered heroes were given outsized portraits to indicate the importance of their achievements. However, I can think of few monuments, other than the pyramids (which are of course abstract), that are so large that they can be seen from outer space! The doctor’s healing light thus metaphorically extends beyond the limits of the globe itself. In addition, the mural is not placed a wall, as are Rodriguez-Gerada’s previous portrait murals, but on the ground, in a public parking lot. As the artist stated to Artnet News:

“I wanted to create a place to mourn, where we can contemplate the difficulties that so many people are going through, after losing so many loved ones…It’s a place that, in a political climate where there is more division than ever, we can find a way to bring ourselves back together as a community and as a nation.”

With over 100,000 dead from corona virus, a good part of the psychic toll on the nation as a whole has been due to the lack of a ceremony of public mourning organized by this administration. The profound anxiety felt by the majority of the population has been compounded recently by the public execution of an unarmed black man, George Floyd, by a white policeman. Just has the pandemic has predominately affected communities of color, so the ensuing protests over the deaths of blacks at the hands of white police have laid bare once again the enormous racial inequities in our society. South African writer Lebogang Mashile sent an immedite note of sympathy to African Americans: “As you fight two pandemics, racism and COVID, we see you taking to the streets to express your rage, deep sorrow, and frustration. Black bodies worldwide know this pain.”

Again, the lack of an empathetic response or any potential action on the part of our racist president has increased our malaise, our sense that society may well be falling apart. But Rodriguez-Gerada has created a space where people can come together.  Walking over Dr. Decoo’s face would not be an act of disrespect, but one which can begin to, as the artist says, “to bring ourselves back together as a community and a nation.” This is precisely the role that art is uniquely able to assume in a time of crisis. And it is important to note that the mural was in fact a community effort, hence the plural title, “We are light.” Rodriguez-Gerada worked with Somos Community Care, which serves mostly Latino and Chinese patients in the ‘hot spot’ of Corona (!), Queens, as well as Mark the Road New York, the NYC Parks Department, and the Queens Museum. A 2009  book by  Rebecca Solnit, A Paradise Built in Hell,, argues that frequently times of crisis and trauma lead to positive social change after they pass. “Somos La Luz” offers the space where such change can begin.

Mark Auslander: Somos La Luz would seem to recall the widespread genre of Ex Votos paintings in Latin America, in which a votive image of a Saint, often martyred, allows for a meaningful of exchange of gazes between the Saint and the devout, conveying blessings to the faithful. Here' the memorialized dead person and the thousands of other healthworkers honored  by extension are not strictly speaking saints, but they have died in a noble cause, and have saint-like characteristics.

Inevitably, as in many other art works depicting masked frontline medical workers around the world, the primary attention of viewers is directed to the subject's eyes, which in this instance seem to leap out at us, almost as if they are radiating the light referenced in the work's title.  Yet,  unlike nearly every mural, or even the massive sculptures at Mount Rushmore, this piece is not designed to be viewed live by spectators.  Rather, the piece can only be viewed as a whole through the mediation of photographs, taken from drones, helicopters, or even, we are told, from satellites in orbit.  The Dead hero, in this instance, looks heavenward.

Otherwise, only small pieces of the work can be glimpsed by pedestrians walking over it, or drivers driving over it, when the image is not covered by parked cars.  The key thing appears to be not so much viewing the work in person as knowing that it is there, or viewing photographs on line or in the press.  Whatever exchange of gazes takes place with the striking eyes of this heroic figure is thus at a profound remove, an appropriate state of affairs in our era of social distancing.

.



17 comments:

  1. HERPES 
    God bless Doctor Dr. DADA for helping me cure my herpes disease. Brethren, I have suffered from herpes for a long period of time, i have tried so many remedies, but none seems to work. But I had contact with a herbal doctor who I saw so many people testifying on how they were all cured of their various diseases and viruses by this doctor. So I explained my entire problem to him, and he promised to cure me. So I gave him all the benefit of doubt, and behold he prepared the herbal mixture, and sent it to me in my country. Today, I am proud to say I am herpes free, and my life has been restored to normal. So in case you are out there suffering from herpes and other diseases or viruses, I want to tell you to quickly contact: Dr DADA for your cure. His email is [drdadaspellhome7@gmail.com]  OR Whatsapp  +2349023126215 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr Oyagu has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems.  recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr Oyagu today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr Oyagu is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRATITUDE TO HERBALIST RAZOR FOR THE GREAT AND MIRACULOUS WORK HE DOING WITH HIS HERBAL MEDICINE. Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed for HSV 1&2 cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV 1&2 is because they believe in medical reports, drugs and medical treatment which is not helpful to cure HSV1&2. Natural roots and herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever for more information about herpes cure Please write Herbalist Razor for any health challenge email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s obvious some patient with HERPES are been enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2020 until I was introduce by a blogger who also narrated Her story online on how she was cured of Herpes after using Dr ISHIAKU Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from Herpes. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. I have promise to keep telling good about this. Please fill free to share Your problems with him. Thanks. Write him via call or whatsapp him on +2348180828544 or email ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com   thank you once again sir

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr OLIHA has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems. recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr OLIHA today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr OLIHA is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}  or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, everyone, I want to quickly drop my life stories on how a specialized healer called DR Williams cure me of the HERPES virus A great man who have to use his root and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cure until I saw his email on Google by a patient he has cured of HERPES called FLORENCE who drop the email and phone contact of the doctor that cured her I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cure When I contact him he prepare the herbal medication for my HERPES and send it to me in the U.K via DHL And I got cured within two weeks. you can Contact him through Email:drwilliamscure@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2347040461868 Website: https://drwilliamscure.wixsite.com/herbalhome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am testifying of the miraculous work of a great traditional doctor called Dr Maggi. I have been suffering from herpes since last 2 years with my Husband but today I am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine made by Dr Maggi the great healer, I was browsing the Internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr Maggi cure her from Herpes Disease. I quickly contacted him to get the cure and today I am now free from the Virus,drmaggiherbalhome@gmail.com you can also call or whatsApp him on +1(917) 979-6387

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am amazed by Dr Maggi's remedy. I Have had herpes for over 6 years with frequent outbreaks. Sometimes I average 2-3 times per month. Before one breakout could end, the next would begin. Nothing has helped me. I came online in search for a possible way to see how I can fight this virus so I found Dr Maggi here online after seeing a lot of testimonies of how he cured herpes and other diseases with natural herbs so I decided to give it a try I only took his remedy for two weeks and I was completely cured. I recommend Dr Maggi remedy to anyone suffering from herpes that wants to be completely cured too. Email: drmaggiherbalhome@gmail.com WhatsApp +19179796387

    ReplyDelete

  12. It works for me that's more reason am sharing this wonderful news about DR.BALWA MATILUKO

    Months after months got tired of swallowing drugs never really believe on drBALWA MATILUKO Herb's medication but I give it a try don't know what and what he used but currently amazing about this wonderful Dr BALWA MATILUKO Herb's medication my labs results was completely unbelievable it neg. It's a DrBALWA MATILUKO Herbal medication I probably will take more of this though, than drugs without no doubts about this wonderful DrBALWA MATILUKO email drmatilukoherbalhome@gmail.com
    WhatsApp number_
    hiHE ALSO SPECIALIZE IN THE TREATMENT OF OTHER DISEASES
    1 HIV/AIDS. 2 KIDNEY
    . DISEASES. 3
    HEPATITIS.
    4 LOW SPERM COUNT.
    5 CANCER DISEASES.
    6 FIBROID. DISEASES.
    7 GONORRHEAL.
    8 FALLOPIAN TUBE.
    9 PREGNANCY solutions.
    10 BRING YOUR EX LOVER BACK. 11 WEAK ERECTION ETC. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP visit for details Email:address drmatilukoherbalhome@gmail.com for more. informations about DrBALWA -matiluko Herbalist doctor medications, Dr MATILUKO+1804-223-2138)

    ReplyDelete
  13. HOW I GOT RID OF HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS1&2.

    I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes simplex Virus by a herbal Dr called ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how dr ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his what - sapp him via (+2348180828544) or email ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com and get all your problems solved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been suffering from herpes virus for over 7 years now, it was really hard on me and heartbreaking for me because the symptoms were very terrible and painful, i search for cure, went to different hospital but still no hope until a friend of mine introduce me to the great Dr. Williams from west Africa who helped her with some spiritual problem she was having then, i took the chance to contact the herbal doctor, he assured me that he will prepare his herbal medicine and deliver it to me through the ups delivery service and I will receive my package under 3 to 4 days, he said I will take the herbal medication for 21 days following the prescription which will be listed to me, i listened to everything he told me and purchased the herbal medicine having the fear that i might loose my money but to God be the glory everything went well, in a month time i went to the hospital for check
    up and my medical doctor confirmed it several time Negative.You Can contact Dr. Williams through his Email: (drwilliamscure@gmail.com,) or WhatsApp number +2347040461868, Website: https://drwilliamscure.wixsite.com/herbalhom

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m very excited to inform everyone that I’m completely cured from HSV1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it’s really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from HSV1&2 with a strong and .active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist called Dr Ishiaku and it completely fought the virus away my nervous system and I tested negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I’m here to let everyone know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of it with the help of Dr Ishiaku and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: ishiakuherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him at +2348180828544.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a miracle product.


    Very effective for herpes cure


    It can be used for Shingles, Cold sore, HPV, HSV1&2,


    You can contact R.buckler11 @ {{gmail}} com,, …………….

    ReplyDelete