Sunday, June 7, 2020

Confined by Numbers: Fana Tshabalala.

Still from "Confined by Numbers" Fana Tshabalala
Fana Tshabalala.
"Confined by Numbers" (Dance work, filmed: 3 minutes, 32 seconds)
Featured in The Pandemic Project
(University of Johannesburg Arts and Culture)


Overview: Dance piece performed in the confined space of a laundry room, during Lockdown.  The performer is dressed in white.

All the artists in The Pandemic Project, based at the University of Johannesburg's School of Arts and Culture, have chosen a musical piece recorded by the university choir.  The artist for this work has chosen the song Sejedo (in the West African language of Fon) by Angélique Kidjo,  arranged by Sabelo Mthemb.  performed by the University of Johannesburg Choir.


*Video is at:  https://youtu.be/-xvZ9CMSlLk
Full page is at:   https://arts.uj.ac.za/article/the-pandemic-project-fana-tshabalala/


Artist's Statement:  The work is inspired by the UJ Choir’s rendition of Sedjedo by Angélique Kidjo arranged by Sabelo Mthembu and featured on When the Earth Stands Still.  My piece ‘Confined by Numbers’ is the exploration of the unstable mental state. The constant changes in its surrounding affect its ability to be independent. The only way to survive, is to re-imagine and re-create the context of every moment and experience.
 
Mark Auslander:  While we are dazzled by the dancer's virtuosic artistry, we also find  ourselves immediately recognizing the predicament before us. Untold millions around the world during the various forms of pandemic-induced lockdown have surely found ourselves wandering around the confines of a small space in our homes,  our minds filled by all manner of thought, from terror of contagion to the most basic question of what domestic task to turn to next.  Our dwelling spaces have become the theatrical stage for so much of our inner psychic lives of late.
 
Here, we are invited into the tumult of the protagonist's mind. The opening shots are low, showing the dancer twisting on the floor, his right arm then raised up as if aspiring to something higher. He stands up, still rotating, as his arms continue to explore the taut space around his upper body.  At one point he glances at the fingers of his hand, evidently referencing the work's title, "Confined by numbers." How many hours and days have we been locked down? How many more until we can safely re-emerge? How many are infected, dying, transmitting, recovering?  How many are out of work?  At one point he leaps upon the counter as if to rest in thought, but then immediately is standing again, momentarily grasping his temples,  his fingers then counting more numbers, more casualties.  Numbers are projected quickly across the screen.

His knees fall back to the floor, his arms resting on the sink, as his lower legs rapidly pulse back and forth. Bending to the floor, he seems to pick up something, more numbers to be counted sorrowfully on his fingers.  He fiddles briefly with the knobs on the washing machine, until the weight of the moment seems to pull him down back to the ground, where the work began, his body in the L shape described by the small room.   Is he evoking the death of those who have been lost to the pandemic, or communing with them, or finding a measure of peace after his mental journey? 

The title of the accompany musical work, "Sedjedo," is translated from the West African language of  Fon as "the wisdom that comes with age."  In Angélique Kidjo's recorded performances of the song, her lyrics praise a person of great integrity and we sense we may be hearing a funeral lament. We may read this dance performance as a struggle for knowledge amidst a time of sorrow and travail. The numbers and statistical modeling that confine us do not, in themselves convey wisdom: true insight comes through an interior journey, taking into one's very body the suffering and the aspirations of others, attaining great compassion for those who have gone on before us. 

It is perhaps of significance that Angélique Kidjo grew up in Benin's largest city, Cotonou, one of the major centers of the Atlantic slave trade. As a major site on the UNESCO Slave Route, the memories of the many millions gone now weigh heavily on the city, which seeks to memorialize through art those who passed through it across the many decades.  Might Tshabalala also, his body beautifully contorted within a confined space, be paying homage not only those ravaged by the current pandemic but to those long ago locked within the holds of slave ships, bound for the unknown horrors of the New World?  No mere array of numbers can convey the true toll of the Maafa, as experienced by the individual bodies and minds of countless souls. Are many ancestors, old and new, being summoned up, and honored, in this haunting work?
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. HERPES 
    God bless Doctor Dr. DADA for helping me cure my herpes disease. Brethren, I have suffered from herpes for a long period of time, i have tried so many remedies, but none seems to work. But I had contact with a herbal doctor who I saw so many people testifying on how they were all cured of their various diseases and viruses by this doctor. So I explained my entire problem to him, and he promised to cure me. So I gave him all the benefit of doubt, and behold he prepared the herbal mixture, and sent it to me in my country. Today, I am proud to say I am herpes free, and my life has been restored to normal. So in case you are out there suffering from herpes and other diseases or viruses, I want to tell you to quickly contact: Dr DADA for your cure. His email is [drdadaspellhome7@gmail.com]  OR Whatsapp  +2349023126215 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr Oyagu has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems.  recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr Oyagu today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr Oyagu is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931. or website is https://olihamiraclemedicine.webs.com/

    Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

    ReplyDelete
  4. GRATITUDE TO HERBALIST RAZOR FOR THE GREAT AND MIRACULOUS WORK HE DOING WITH HIS HERBAL MEDICINE. Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed for HSV 1&2 cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV 1&2 is because they believe in medical reports, drugs and medical treatment which is not helpful to cure HSV1&2. Natural roots and herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever for more information about herpes cure Please write Herbalist Razor for any health challenge email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was Cured of genital warts. Herbal medicine eradicates the virus, symptoms & Outbreak totally from within and has no side effects ... This is real and i apply it just two weeks and tested Negative he cures all kind of diseases. Contact Dr Oliha on email oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com   WhatsApp or call +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes simplex Virus by a herbal Dr called  ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how dr ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his what - sapp him via (+2348180828544) or email ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com and get all your problems solved.

    1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to cure  HEPATITIS B, DIABETICS, HIV
    3)Marriage problem, To Re-unit or cast a spell
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)bad mouth odour or tooth problem
    7)eye & ear problem

    ReplyDelete
  8. All thanks to Dr Ayomide for curing me of herpes simplex virus with his herbal medicine,i do not have much to say but with all my life i will forever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Ayomide to reach me when i thought it was all over,today i am happy with my life again after the medical doctor have confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS of 5years is gone,i have never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS could be cured by herbal medicine.so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr Ayomide that all hope is not lost yet,try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email: ( ayomideherbalhome@gmail.com) or his whatsapp number +2348062443909 and get your healing

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless Dr. Maggie for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched out some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. Maggie, how he cured HERPES,DIABETES,HIV,and CANCER with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine I took as prescribed by him and 14 days later I was cured from HERPES, Dr. Maggie, truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don’t you contact him through his EMAIL: drmaggieherbalhome82@gmail.com or whatsapp on +14097946086

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr OLIHA has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems. recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr OLIHA today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr OLIHA is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}  or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life is always beautiful when you have good health.i have be in pain for almost 1 year had HSV 1&2 and I was lonely and sad, luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great Dr Oliha who helped me cure my HSV 1&2 and today I am free from the virus and very healthy thank you so much Dr Oliha .Email
    oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com
    you can also whatsapp/Call him; +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was tested Herpes positive and ever since then i have been taking different kinds of medicine but yet no improvement until i saw testimonies on the internet of how Robinson buckler has been curing different people from different kinds of diseases, immediately i contacted him. After our discussion he prepared the medicine and send it to me, which i received and took according to his instructions. Now my doctor just confirmed me HSV2 negative. My heart is so filled with joy, thank you so much Robinson buckler for curing me. If you are reading this and you are suffering from HSV or any other disease or you want to fix your broken marriage/relationship or maybe get back with your Ex husband, Ex wife, Boyfriend or girlfriend you can contact Robinson buckler on this Email address: [Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com]

    ReplyDelete