Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Lockdown (dance): Khaya Ndlovu

Khaya Ndlovu
“Lockdown,’ 
26 May, video, 3:49
University of Johannesburg Arts & Culture

The Pandemic: An Interdisciplinary Art Project

Web page:  https://arts.uj.ac.za/show/PANDEMICKHAYA/
Video: https://youtu.be/ne6eQZ2rI10

Overview  Video of dance performance, with the artist initially behind an iron gate, then at one point running outside and on a park bench,  before returning indoors.


Artist's Statement: Being in a confined space when you are used to being out and free, you eventually start living in your thoughts. This made me write a poem which is illustrated my feelings while creating this work. What I created was a visual journal rather than a dancer dancing to music but, rather leaving thoughts that are connected through movement. 

Personally, I was affected positively and negatively because I always wanted to go digital But finding a to retain that face to face impact that artist need within their workspace has been hard to balance. Yes, financially it hits deeper. If you are not connected with WIFI then it will take a toll on your pocket. 

It saddens me to see that theatre spaces have been affected badly by COVID-19. However, this is the perfect time for the arts to evolve.


Pamela Allara: At the start of the coronavirus pandemic in March of 2020, the University of Johannesburg immediately called a halt to all of its arts programming, as did universities and arts organizations throughout the country as a whole. In response to the loss of those things of which “the pandemic has robbed us”, Pieter Jacobs, head of the UJ’s Arts & Culture program, announced the establishment of The Pandemic project, which would build on the existing collaborative and interdisciplinary initiatives at the University. On May 11, the UJ Choir released its 9th album, “When The Earth Stands Still,” and on the same day The Pandemic project asked 19 visual artists and 9 dancer/choreographers to submit a short (3-4 minute) time-lapse video that would respond both to the music and to the closing down of exhibitions and performances due to the crisis. To date, 7 videos documenting the artists’ initial responses have been uploaded to the website, and in 2021, the resulting videos, as well as the completed artworks, will be exhibited at the University Art Gallery.
 https://arts.uj.ac.za

Fana Tshabalala’s dance performance, “Confined By Numbers,” was released on May 22, and as Mark Auslander observed in a previous post, it succeeded in making a virtue of the fact that this most physical of the arts had to be presented in virtual form. The same is true of dancer/choreographer Khaya Ndlovu’s “Lockdown,” which was released on May 26. Although a haunting song from 1982, Ngonthando (In love alone), plays in the soundtrack, Ndlovu insists in her statement that the work is a visual journal, not a dancer dancing to music. Indeed, this work is a prose poem that she recites while moving from a barred, prison-like door, to walking along a tall, black fence, to running outdoors in an empty street. As she moves from inside to outside and back again, her attire changes from a geometrically patterned jump suit to a flowered dress, further marking the contrast between freedom and confinement. Her poetry and her dance movements are closely aligned: for instance, as she walks barefoot on dry, dead leaves blown against the seemingly endless fence posts, she asks: ”So this is what they meant when they state jail strips everything out of you?” After a beautiful interlude of dancing with her back to us in an empty street and wondering aloud about the next generation of artists, Ndlovu sits on a park bench and remarks sadly, “Jozi my city you are missed.” Returning to the prison cell-like door that appears to be the entrance to her home, she raises her arms through the bars in a prayerful gesture, and declares, “If my body can’t move, I’ll allow my soul to move.” The video thus ends with the affirmation of what the creative arts can do in a time of crisis, and that is to provide solace and inspiration.


Mark Auslander;   For generations, political legitimacy in South African liberation circles was bound up in narratives of imprisonment and liberation.  In poetry, literature, film and art, periods of incarceration were honored as trajectories of moral and spiritual rebirth.  In the 1988 film Mapantsula, for example, a small time hoodlum played by Thomas Mogatlane who had long served as an informant for Apartheid security services rediscovers within the prison cell a sense of moral integrity that he had thought long lost, and reclaims his voice as a powerful resistor to oppression.  In  the darkest moment of the State of Emergency, the prison is figured as the entire polity in microcosm on the eve of radical transformation. 

This narrative of rebirth through imprisonment is most famously developed in Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, in which the national dream of a multiracial democracy is forged: "It was during those long and lonely years that my hunger for the freedom of my own people became a hunger for the freedom of all people, white and black. I knew as well as I knew anything that the oppressor must be liberated just as surely as the oppressed." Precisely at the moment of maximum physical restriction,  the mind, and the soul, can run free to remake the nation in a new inclusive image.

This deep seated history provides the context of Ndlovu's film. Confinement within the household during Lockdown, while nowhere near as oppressive as actual incarceration,  is figured as a liminal period of contemplation, self-discovery, self-fashioning, and rejuvenation. The sense of confinement continues as the artist heads triumphantly out on the street, her arms upraised, while contemplating her  empty city, her fellow citizens confined. As the artist returns beyond the bars of her normally locked house gate, she moves in and out of the gate, exploring her veritable cell with her arms and the soles of her feet. At the end  she stands  triumphantly, fading into a image of her bent over in contemplation on the bench, towards her closing epiphany:  "If I cannot run with my body, then I'll allow my soul to run."  As in generations past, the compressed space of confinement paradoxically catalyzes personal liberation and a a new birth of freedom for the entire nation, on the brink of becoming something that still cannot quite yet be imagined.

8 comments:

  1. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr Oyagu has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems.  recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr Oyagu today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr Oyagu is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. GRATITUDE TO HERBALIST RAZOR FOR THE GREAT AND MIRACULOUS WORK HE DOING WITH HIS HERBAL MEDICINE. Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed for HSV 1&2 cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV 1&2 is because they believe in medical reports, drugs and medical treatment which is not helpful to cure HSV1&2. Natural roots and herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever for more information about herpes cure Please write Herbalist Razor for any health challenge email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was Cured of genital warts. Herbal medicine eradicates the virus, symptoms & Outbreak totally from within and has no side effects ... This is real and i apply it just two weeks and tested Negative he cures all kind of diseases. Contact Dr Oliha on email oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com   WhatsApp or call +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need a quick loan?
    Have you been denied a bank loan?
    Do you need a loan during this pandemic?
    interest rate of 2% no matter your location
    Do you need a loan to solve your financial problems?
    If so, then you are in luck because my company lends for a short time and the interest rate is low. If you are interested, Kindly reply to us at (Whats App) number:+919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com Mr Jeffery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had Herpes for 9 months they all tell me there was no cure for me I have go to different hospital I always have same news, I was confused because I feel like ending my life that time thank God I was able to locate Doctor Iyoha who help me I found his email on site how people was writing Good about him I never believe he can really cured me until when I get my test done. I am so happy to tell you this Doctor Iyoha have a herbal cure to Herpes and you can take the medicine according to his instruction you will found out that you will give testimony like me I take his herbal medicine for just 2 week. I am so happy today that I am really free from this sickness here is email him on dr.iyohasolutiontemple@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him now +1(857) 228-8347 or call : +1 407 337 9869 . you can reach him out now

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. ဒါဟာလှတယ် : Crocodile One Piece
    ဒါဟာလှတယ် : Orochi One Piece
    ဒါဟာလှတယ် : Smoker One Piece
    ဒါဟာလှတယ် : Ulti One Piece
    ဒါဟာလှတယ် : Hody Jones One Piece
    ဒါဟာလှတယ် : Marco One Piece
    ဒါဟာလှတယ် : Who'S Who One Piece
    ဒါဟာလှတယ် : Marco One Piece

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was tested Herpes positive and ever since then i have been taking different kinds of medicine but yet no improvement until i saw testimonies on the internet of how Robinson buckler has been curing different people from different kinds of diseases, immediately i contacted him. After our discussion he prepared the medicine and send it to me, which i received and took according to his instructions. Now my doctor just confirmed me HSV2 negative. My heart is so filled with joy, thank you so much Robinson buckler for curing me. If you are reading this and you are suffering from HSV or any other disease or you want to fix your broken marriage/relationship or maybe get back with your Ex husband, Ex wife, Boyfriend or girlfriend you can contact Robinson buckler on this Email address: [Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com]....

    ReplyDelete