Wednesday, June 3, 2020

All the King's Horses: Ella Cronjé

Ella Cronjé
All the King's Horses
Wax sculpture to be cast in bronze 
40 cm high
The TLC Extension Collection (2020, South Africa)

Reflections by Pamela Allara and Mark Auslander


Overview:  A sculpted hybrid being has a human body with a large horse head. Left foot atop a small crocodile, right foot tied to  a pencil. 

Artist's Statement: I would like to invite the viewer, for a moment, to imagine the feeling of standing on a walking crocodile with one foot, and the other foot tied to a pencil drawing a line.

It will be difficult to balance due to the uncomfortable movement a crocodile makes, and the line drawn will not be straight. Nor can it ever draw the same line twice.

In the times that we are facing, in and after COVID-1i, it is important to realize that we can never go back to the way things were,  Some things  can never be put together again the sooner can make peace with this reality, the sooner we can move forward towards a hopefully better future.

Pamela Allara  The horse has been ridden into battle since 4000 BCE, and although its military/social role at present is reduced to a perch for law enforcement officers, it still speaks to the authority of the person astride its back. Ideally, the human in charge with enforcing social rules will steer the powerful energies of the horse toward enlightened ends. The image of the knight in shining armor riding his horse into battle to fight for truth and justice remains lodged in our collective unconscious despite its anachronism. This sculpture thus projects power despite its small size.

In creating her reversed Minotaur-like creature Cronje has deliberately upended the horse/rider order, with the result that the horse is without clear guidance. Moreover, the horse/man is not grounded, but rather precariously perched on a crocodile, an aggressive, dangerous reptile whose movements cannot be controlled. The horse’s head may have the configuration of the Knight in chess, but his human torso is naked and vulnerable rather than armored. Cronje is asking us to accept the fact that we have no control over the pandemic, nor can we draw a straight line to its aftermath. We are involved in a lethal chess game where none of the accepted moves are operable, and “we can never go back to the way things were.”


Mark Auslander: The work's title, "All the King's Men," references one of the most famous of all nursery rhymes, "Humpty Dumpty":  "All the King's horses and all the King's Men/Couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again."  Here we see one of the King's men and one of the King's horses united as a hybrid being, facing the impossible predicament of remaking the old world in the wake of our great "fall," the disorienting legacies of the COVID-19 crisis.  The instability of our present moment, as so much that was once solid now melts into air, is evoked by the image of trying to stand with one foot on the dangerous, writhing figure of a crocodile. As the artist notes, the other foot, tied to a pencil, inevitably creates a jagged line that will never be the same each time.

There is something profoundly uncanny (that is to say both disturbing and eerily familiar) about the zoomorphic figure of this human-horse hybrid, a kind of reverse centaur. Perhaps the artist is evoking the Löwenmensch (Lion-human), the oldest known figurative sculpture, of a lion head on a human body of indeterminate gender, dated to the Upper Paleolithic (c. 35,000-40,000 years ago), or the mythic figure of the Minotaur, classically depicted as a human body with a bovine head. Horseheads were at times used in pagan and early modern ceremonies, as ritual paraphernalia and masks, perhaps echoing ancient Indo-European horse sacrifice.  Horsehead masks have recently undergone a resurgence in Halloween and other settings, as figures of linked horror and humor.  The sculpture may also evoke the important chess piece of the Knight, capable, like horse-mounted warriors, of leaping over its opponents and striking unexpectedly.  There might even be a touch of the warrior seahorses of Aquaman, telepathically bound to their riders.

Whatever the work's precise referents in antiquity or popular culture, hybridity does seem to be the spirit of our strange new era. We are painfully aware that while we have long fancied ourselves as masters of our destiny, our species is currently relegated to the position of serving as passive host to invading RNA strands of the novel coronavirus, hijacking our own cells for the purpose of mass reproduction.  We are not quite the beings that we thought ourselves to be, and are gradually being forced to accommodate ourselves to living with a virus that is simultaneously radically other and also "us" as well.  We are indeed walking on the crocodile, bound to a force that at any moment might violently consume us. As Cronjé's pencil suggests, we can under these circumstances still create something, still leave a line tracing our own presence, but we are not fully independent authors of these new creations. Welcome to our brave new world, that has such people in it 



For more information:
#TLCExtensionCollection #ArtForGood #TheLockdownCollection



11 comments:

  1. HERPES 
    God bless Doctor Dr. DADA for helping me cure my herpes disease. Brethren, I have suffered from herpes for a long period of time, i have tried so many remedies, but none seems to work. But I had contact with a herbal doctor who I saw so many people testifying on how they were all cured of their various diseases and viruses by this doctor. So I explained my entire problem to him, and he promised to cure me. So I gave him all the benefit of doubt, and behold he prepared the herbal mixture, and sent it to me in my country. Today, I am proud to say I am herpes free, and my life has been restored to normal. So in case you are out there suffering from herpes and other diseases or viruses, I want to tell you to quickly contact: Dr DADA for your cure. His email is [drdadaspellhome7@gmail.com]  OR Whatsapp  +2349023126215 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here to testify about what DR. OYAGU did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 2 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday. This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Shayla Bosschart on the internet testifying about a Man called DR. OYAGU on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, DR. OYAGU prepared and sent me Healing Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after two weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as DR. OYAGU assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact DR. OYAGU for help via email} oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome whatsapp him through his mobile} +2348101755322. , Thanks once again DR. OYAGU for making me a happy woman again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr Oyagu has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems.  recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr Oyagu today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr Oyagu is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931. or website is https://olihamiraclemedicine.webs.com/

    Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

    ReplyDelete
  5. GRATITUDE TO HERBALIST RAZOR FOR THE GREAT AND MIRACULOUS WORK HE DOING WITH HIS HERBAL MEDICINE. Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed for HSV 1&2 cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV 1&2 is because they believe in medical reports, drugs and medical treatment which is not helpful to cure HSV1&2. Natural roots and herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever for more information about herpes cure Please write Herbalist Razor for any health challenge email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete

  6. Just wanna say a big thank you patrice cythia for introducing me to Dr.odoma the great HERBALIST that helped me prepare home remedies that cured my herpes simplex virus (HSV1&2) I was infected with herpes for the past two years and i was not happy all day so i was desperate to get a cure so that i can live normal and get healthy. One day i was less busy so i decided to make latest research on herpes cure and i found a site were everyone was talking about Dr ODOMA and has ability to cure Herpes, HIV, HPV, Cancer, ALS, COPD, Anthrax, genital wart, cold sore, Arthritis skin tag and all manners of diseases and virus. So i discussed with cynthia and she explained to me that its very easy working with Dr ODOMA so i contacted Dr ODOMA via email drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com and he helped me just as he has helped others. Now I am cured from herpes and am very happy now. and I can also assure you that he can also help you. So if you need the service of DR odoma visit the website: https://drodomasolutionhome.simdif.com/. or whatsapp +2348100649947. Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/Drodomaherbalmedicine/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you need a quick loan?
    Have you been denied a bank loan?
    Do you need a loan during this pandemic?
    interest rate of 2% no matter your location
    Do you need a loan to solve your financial problems?
    If so, then you are in luck because my company lends for a short time and the interest rate is low. If you are interested, Kindly reply to us at (Whats App) number:+919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com Mr Jeffery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr OLIHA has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems. recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr OLIHA today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr OLIHA is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}  or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never w that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 :: am and  year now before I came across a comment about how dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but whey I saw it i have it in mind that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check up and I went for ALS test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or WhatsApp number ‪+2349056460552
    dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4} Blood Cancer
    {5} HPV
    {6} ALS
    {7}herpes





    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a miracle product.


    Very effective for herpes cure


    It can be used for Shingles, Cold sore, HPV, HSV1&2,


    You can contact R.buckler11 @ {{gmail}} com,, …………….

    ReplyDelete