Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Babu and the Virus: Bhaskar Chitrakar

Overview:  Writing in The Wire (26 April 2020), Ritika Ganguly reports on the South Asian artist Bhaskar Chitrakar based in South Kolkata, who has created a five part series of paintings, engaging with COVID-19 through the centuries old local art form known as Kalighat pata.



Pamela Allara:  Indian artist Bhaskar Chitrakar is a Kalighat painter, who uses this traditional art form to explore contemporary Bengali life. Emerging in Calcutta in the 19th century, the Kalighat painters were so named because they created their works, often depicting the goddess Kali, near the Kalighat Temple. Initially the kalighat paintings (pata) were sold to Hindu pilgrims, but later they depicted secular, everyday life and were marketed as souvenirs to tourists as well as pilgrims.
Here is a You Tube about the tradition of Kalighat painting and its transformations. It includes a quick view of the five part series discussed below.

Bhaskar is descended from a long line of patua (cloth painters), and his most recent series of five paintings on paper, as described by anthropologist Ritika Ganguly in the accompanying article from The Wire, depict the coronavirus pandemic in a deliberately humorous fashion. His familiar cast of characters: the babu, (a middle class clerk), his wife (bibi), their tanpura playing musical cat, and a curious black dog, each play different roles in a drama designed to provide some respite from unrelenting anxiety and sorrow via a moment of light-hearted entertainment.
 In the first painting, the babu and his wife, seated across from each other in traditional garments, attempt to offer one another a token of their love, a rose. However, standing between them, also elegantly garbed, is the interloper, coronavirus. Babu and bibi are wearing protective masks, which render their facial expressions unreadable. Love in the time of coronavirus has been reduced to an empty gesture.


In the second of the series, the virus has taken over the babu’s chair, which in every culture constitutes an enormous insult. Three crows attempt to come to the rescue with a vaccine,



but clearly their attempted cure is for the birds, as in the third painting the virus has grown to twice its original size and has forced the babu to flee in fear.





Kali dispells the virus. Bhaskar Chitrakar








In the fourth work, the human protagonist has vanished, and the imperturbable feline, now surrounded by scattered viruses, sticks out her tongue at the largest, while she protectively wraps her paw around her tanpura.  However courageous her gesture, the cat cannot scare the virus away.




Such power is only available to Kali herself, whose fearsome profile, emitting a deadly ray of  light, at last causes it to flee.

Traditional stories, in contemporary form, are a comfort, and these paintings, whose delightful details provide endless edification, not only provide some solace, but also the opportunity for commonality with a culture with which many may be unfamiliar. Secluded in Calcutta (Kolkata), Bhaskar Chitrakar has sent a gift to a world in isolation.

Ellen Schattschneider: I am struck by the imagery of eyes in this wonderful series.  As Diane Eck famously observes in Darsan: Seeing the Divine Image in India, the act of painting an eye in votive images in South Asia opens up a transformative gaze, a powerful exchange of energy between divinity and worshiper.  These visual exchanges can at times be life-sustaining, and at times dangerous, especially  in the case of the painted eyes of demons. Ultimately, through the act of looking at a sacred painting that depicts the triumph of a sacred being over a demon, the devotee is enlivened and enriched.

So too in Bhaskar Chitrakar's series. In the initial image, the married couple's mutual gaze is interrupted by the virus. The demonic virus has a terrifying eye, and at first seems unstoppable. Then Kali comes to the rescue. As a Shakti Devi, one of the goddess of power, Kali possesses a third eye, placed on her forehead, concentrating her infinite wisdom and intuition. The one eyed bandit demon virus has no chance in the face of Kali's ocular magnificence. The eyes have it!

4 comments:


  1. India has a rich tradition of vernacular art that is as ancient as the South Asian continent. Each region has its own distinctive style of expression, whether its paintings on cloth, bark, paper or on walls. A distinctive element that is present in much of these highly colorful and stylized paintings is their social and political commentaries on contemporary events. Pata painters have traditionally travelled from village to village where they unfurl their scrolls and recite or sing about the stories depicted, in this way they would inform villagers of current events, often using the same scroll but changing the narrative to make it locally relevant.
    The link below shows a video of Swarna Chitrakar, who lives in Pingla, West Bengal. She has made a brightly colored scroll painting of the dangers of the Corona Virus. As she unfurls the scroll she sings the message to her mostly illiterate audience.

    https://www.facebook.com/299390847435706/posts/539187450122710/?sfnsn=wiwspwa&d=w&vh=e&extid=VrvycCbmX7O9rfZa

    ReplyDelete
  2. HERPES 
    God bless Doctor Dr. DADA for helping me cure my herpes disease. Brethren, I have suffered from herpes for a long period of time, i have tried so many remedies, but none seems to work. But I had contact with a herbal doctor who I saw so many people testifying on how they were all cured of their various diseases and viruses by this doctor. So I explained my entire problem to him, and he promised to cure me. So I gave him all the benefit of doubt, and behold he prepared the herbal mixture, and sent it to me in my country. Today, I am proud to say I am herpes free, and my life has been restored to normal. So in case you are out there suffering from herpes and other diseases or viruses, I want to tell you to quickly contact: Dr DADA for your cure. His email is [drdadaspellhome7@gmail.com]  OR Whatsapp  +2349023126215 

    ReplyDelete
  3. DOCTOR RAZOR FAST CURE FOR HERPES SIMPLEX INFECTION.  Best Regards to Doctor Razor and his herbal Exploits..I am so happy that i got cured from herpes virus 1&2 after i have suffered from this virus for over 3 years. I have been using drugs to suppress it,I got introduced to doctor razor by a friend of mine who knew I was herpes positive, she believes in herbs, and I have full doubt on her idea to try out herbal medicine. but after visiting his website : https://herbalistrazorherb.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome  . I contacted the doctor and told him what I was passing through, so he promised he was going to get me cured completely. I am so glad that after applying doctor razor herbal remedy for 18 days there is no trace of the virus in my body as confirmed by the results given to me by the medical hospital,where I conducted my test. I am so grateful for Doctor Razor. For those who are in the same situation just like I was, you can reach out to doctor razor on email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com , WhatsApp or Call him on +2349065420442. Please share as received, so multitude can be saved from this virus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete