Thursday, April 2, 2020

Dicerus Socius: John Moore

John Moore
Diceros Socius: Rhino Weaver
Black and white Linocut,
Printed on white Hahnemuhle Paper
Size: 130cm x 80cm “
Day Four of South Africa's The Lockdown Collection showcases a linocut  by John Moore, "Diceros Socius: Rhino Weaver. " A rhinoceros is filled with birds that made nests borrowed into the rhino'sbody, which itself has the texture of a woven basket.   Moore explains his work on Instagram:

  "Just as the nesting social weavers (Philetarirus socius) in the artwork can be seen to be inhabiting the rhinoceros’ body, so it can be thought of that COVID-19 is inhabiting human sapiens and threatening their existence. Humans are now confined to their homes during “Lockdown” due to the effects of a mutated virus adapted to and using man as its host. We as humans, now need to take the time in Lockdown to contemplate our association with nature and the impact we have had on her." - @johnmooreartist #TheLockdownCollection #ArtForGood

Moore's fanciful title is a composite of the Latin terms  Diceros ("Rhinoceros") and Socius (bonds or alliance, the root of the word "society.)  The rhino's body makes visible the new form that society has suddenly taken in South Africa and around the world.

Male African weaver birds are known for constructing elaborate and intricate nests, with which they lure a female mate to settle and lay eggs. Here the rhino is figured as the national body, into which innumerable householders have sheltered in place under conditions of the Lockdown.  Each bird can be though as equivalent to a virus infiltrating its RNA into human cells, turning the body's cells into destructive miniature virus-producting factories that assault the pulmonary system and endanger the entire organism. Rather like Diane Victor's scaly pangolin (Day Six), the surface of the rhino's hide is reminiscent of the protuberance-filled surface of the novel coronavirus, the form that now haunts all of our waking and sleeping hours.

As in the works of Thabiso Mohlakoana and Diane Victor, an animal form is used to evoke the intersection of human and natural worlds in these unsettled times. As we burrow into our isolated nests, will we forget the ties that bind us, beyond the narrow confines of our households, or will pause to apprehend, like Moore's weaver birds, our fates are entangled with one another and the global webs of biodiversity that sustain us all?


 

 

2 comments:

  1. HERPES 
    God bless Doctor Dr. DADA for helping me cure my herpes disease. Brethren, I have suffered from herpes for a long period of time, i have tried so many remedies, but none seems to work. But I had contact with a herbal doctor who I saw so many people testifying on how they were all cured of their various diseases and viruses by this doctor. So I explained my entire problem to him, and he promised to cure me. So I gave him all the benefit of doubt, and behold he prepared the herbal mixture, and sent it to me in my country. Today, I am proud to say I am herpes free, and my life has been restored to normal. So in case you are out there suffering from herpes and other diseases or viruses, I want to tell you to quickly contact: Dr DADA for your cure. His email is [drdadaspellhome7@gmail.com]  OR Whatsapp  +2349023126215 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete