Sunday, April 12, 2020

NHS Thank You: Michael Craig-Martin


NHS Thank You, Michael Craig Martin, 2020
Art Daily reports that Irish/British artist Sir Michael Craig-Martin has designed a poster thanking the National Health Service for their heroic work during the Covid-19 crisis. The poster may be downloaded for free from the BBC:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/scotland/arts/NHS%20poster%20MCM%202b.pdf

and colored by users according to their own choice of hues. People may then display the image to show support for the NHS.

Craig-Martin has chosen to highlight the Gerbera flower (also known as the Berberton Daisy, Transvaal Daisy or African Daisy) a popular flower widely associated with happiness, joy, and love.  The artist notes that during the national lockdown, seeing cut flowers in the supermarket is for many people their primary contact with the natural world, and thus the image of flowers is a particularly reassuring tie to normalcy and the great outdoors at the present moment.

Perhaps the image is offered as a kind of antidote to the now familiar shape of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2; rather than  the terrifying cell-binding protein spikes that radiate from the virus, we now have the opportunity to color in the benign, reassuring petals of the daisy, as a gift of love and gratitude to the NHS.  Instead of being attacked by the pathogen, the Health Service is presented to us as reassuringly covered in a lively field of daisys.

Speculatively, might the act of placing the enlivened colored Gerbera in one's window be felt, if only implicitly, to have a mild prophylactic effect-- holding the virus, in effect, at bay?  As David Freedberg notes in his classic monograph, The Power of Images, pictures are very often sensed, consciously or otherwise, as actively doing something, and that would seem to the case with this mass reproduced image.

2 comments:

  1. HERPES 
    God bless Doctor Dr. DADA for helping me cure my herpes disease. Brethren, I have suffered from herpes for a long period of time, i have tried so many remedies, but none seems to work. But I had contact with a herbal doctor who I saw so many people testifying on how they were all cured of their various diseases and viruses by this doctor. So I explained my entire problem to him, and he promised to cure me. So I gave him all the benefit of doubt, and behold he prepared the herbal mixture, and sent it to me in my country. Today, I am proud to say I am herpes free, and my life has been restored to normal. So in case you are out there suffering from herpes and other diseases or viruses, I want to tell you to quickly contact: Dr DADA for your cure. His email is [drdadaspellhome7@gmail.com]  OR Whatsapp  +2349023126215 

    ReplyDelete
  2. UNBELIEVABLE QUICK HERPES CURE BY HERBALIST RAZOR. VISIT HERBALIST RAZOR WEBSITE :

    https://herbalistrazorherb.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome

    Hello!!! I’m indeed very happy for the great help that Dr Razor rendered to me,I was diagnosed with HSV 2 on July 7, 2017 and I have tried all possible means to get cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum concerning herbal doctor Dr Razor, who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases/Infection including Herpes Simplex virus Type 2, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email, He assured me of a cure, he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, I applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly virus within 18 days of usage,he told me to go for a medical check up and i went for test, I couldn't believe i was negative and the HERPES VIRUS in my body got cured, I and my family are so happy and grateful to God for using Dr Razor to Liberate me. Reach Out to this great herbal doctor via his email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp or call him on +234 90 6542 0442

    ReplyDelete