Sunday, April 12, 2020

Frontline Heroines: Milo Manara

Milo Manara. “Coraggio”(Courage). 2020.
 https://www.instagram.com/p/B-sF8ALB5qJ/
Stefano Pitrelli  reports in the Washington Post (4/9/20)  that during the national lockdown, Italian comic book illustrator Maurilo (Milo) Manara has created a series of images honoring women medical and essential service workers on the frontline of the struggle against Covid-19.  The online article contains a slideshow showing an exhausted, gowned young woman physician, leaning against a wall, sinking to the ground, and then, fist clenched, standing up with new resolve, donning a mask, and racing to do battle with the pathogen. The final image of the sequence shows her face to face to with an enormous virus.  The image does seem to be gendered in a striking fashion, the novel coronavirus, one senses, is a vile, aggressively male supervillain kin to the grotesquely obese, liscentious Jabba the Hutt, its engorged spikes, one visible between the heroine's legs, disturbingly phallic.  The vast virus  faces its empowered  lone adversary, a young woman cast as St. George preparing to battle the Dragon. Evidently, the maiden she is saving is herself, or perhaps all humanity.  The artist has posted the slideshow sequence on Instagram  and titled it "Coraggio," (Courage), with the comment, translated from Italian by CBR.com: "Thanks to all the staff of all the hospitals in Italy and the world who are struggling on the front lines." (cbr.com)

Looking at these images, and thinking of the artist confined to his home in the devastated Veneto region of northern Italy, one wonders if this beautiful young woman, shown out in the world in a great range of roles (doctor, policewoman,  sanitation worker, grocery clerk) is a kind of avatar for the now imprisoned artist, going all the places that he, and most Italians, are forbidden to travel. 

It is noteworthy that the artist speaks of these images as a "debt" being paid to the women he has illustrated over the years; perhaps he is referencing his many eroticized, objectified images, showing beautiful young woman as objects of male desire, for which  he has at times been criticized over the years. Is this new series a kind of penance? Having said that, I remain concerned that Everywoman here is homogeneously figured as a svelte, youthful supermodel: perhaps in the future the artist will choose to honor Italian women essential workers, in all the marvelous variety of ages, body types, and looks of actual womankind. 

To my mind, the most striking image of the series is the virus presented as the Pied Piper of Hamlin dancing a tune to lure teenagers out of their homes into dangerous pursuits outdoors, where they risk being infected and transmitting the virus to others. Here, the young woman figure is in the shadows, confined to a basement apartment looking longingly through a window up at the merry procession. The Pied Piper is dressed as an alluring medieval harlequin, surrounded by brightly colored viruses floating in the air, tempting youth to their doom.  The artist may be alluding to the Late Medieval performance and artistic genre of the Danse Macabre or Dance of Death, in which Death leads rich and poor, dancing, to the graveyard.  Once again, it would appear. iconography echoing European encounters with prior plagues is called up, as humanity grapples with an epidemic of almost unfathomable proportions.


2 comments:

  1. HERPES 
    God bless Doctor Dr. DADA for helping me cure my herpes disease. Brethren, I have suffered from herpes for a long period of time, i have tried so many remedies, but none seems to work. But I had contact with a herbal doctor who I saw so many people testifying on how they were all cured of their various diseases and viruses by this doctor. So I explained my entire problem to him, and he promised to cure me. So I gave him all the benefit of doubt, and behold he prepared the herbal mixture, and sent it to me in my country. Today, I am proud to say I am herpes free, and my life has been restored to normal. So in case you are out there suffering from herpes and other diseases or viruses, I want to tell you to quickly contact: Dr DADA for your cure. His email is [drdadaspellhome7@gmail.com]  OR Whatsapp  +2349023126215 

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr.IYAYA for his marvelous work in my life, I was suffering from Herpes since 2010 and I was taking my medications and i wasn't satisfied i needed to get the Herpes out of my body, I searched for some possible cure for Herpes and I saw a comment about Dr. IYAYA, how he cured a woman with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. Please contact him for help iyayasolutionhome@gmail.com website //driyayasolutionherbalhome.WordPress.com
    TYPES OF CURES
    Eczema
    HSV1&2
    LASER FIVER
    KIDNEY DISEASE
    HEART DISEASE
    DIABETES
    CANCER
    GONORRHEA
    STD
    HIV/AID
    HERBAL REMEDY FOR PREGNANCY iyayasolutionhome@gmail.com WhatsApp +2202057028

    ReplyDelete